Friday, July 8, 2022

today's meditation (Is.42) Allowing God to be Our Eyes and Ears

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Isaiah 42:1-25) 
“Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold;
     My chosen one in whom My soul delights.
     I have put My Spirit upon Him;
     He will bring forth justice to the nations.
2   He will not cry out nor raise His voice,
     Nor make His voice heard in the street.
3   A bent reed He will not break off 
     And a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish;
     He will faithfully bring forth justice.
4   He will not be disheartened or crushed 
     Until He has established justice on the earth;
     And the coastlands will wait expectantly for His law.”

5   This is what God the Lord says,

     Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
     Who spread out the earth and its offspring,
     Who gives breath to the people on it 
     And spirit to those who walk in it:
6   “I am the Lord, I have called You in righteousness,
     I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You,
     And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people,
     As a light to the nations,
7   To open blind eyes,
     To bring out prisoners from the dungeon 
     And those who dwell in darkness from the prison.
8   I am the Lord, that is My name;
     I will not give My glory to another,
     Nor My praise to idols.
9   Behold, the former things have come to pass,
     Now I declare new things;
     Before they sprout I proclaim them to you.”

10 Sing to the Lord a new song,
     Sing His praise from the end of the earth!
     You who go down to the sea, and all that is in it;
     You islands, and those who live on them.
11 Let the wilderness and its cities raise their voices,
     The settlements which Kedar inhabits.
     Let the inhabitants of Sela sing aloud,
     Let them shout for joy from the tops of the mountains.
12 Let them give glory to the Lord 
     And declare His praise in the coastlands.
13 The Lord will go out like a warrior,
     He will stir His zeal like a man of war.
     He will shout, indeed, He will raise a war cry.
     He will prevail against His enemies.

14 “I have kept silent for a long time,
     I have kept still and restrained Myself.
     Now like a woman in labor I will groan,
     I will both gasp and pant.
15 I will lay waste the mountains and hills 
     And wither all their vegetation;
     I will turn the rivers into coastlands 
     And dry up the ponds.
16 I will lead those who are blind by a way they have not known,
     In paths they have not known I will guide them.
     I will turn darkness into light before them
     And uneven land into plains.
     These are the things I will do,
     And I will not leave them undone.”
17 They will be turned back and be utterly put to shame,
     Who trust in idols,
     Who say to cast metal images,
     “You are our gods.”

18 Hear, you who are deaf!
     And look, you who are blind, so that you may see.
19 Who is blind but My servant,
     Or so deaf as My messenger whom I send?
     Who is so blind as one who is at peace with Me,
     Or so blind as the servant of the Lord?
20 You have seen many things, but you do not retain them;
     Your ears are open, but no one hears.
21 The Lord was pleased for His righteousness’ sake 
     To make the Law great and glorious.
22 But this is a people plundered and pillaged;
     All of them are trapped in caves,
     Or are hidden away in prisons;
     They have become plunder, with no one to save them,
     And spoils with no one to say, “Give them back!”

23 Who among you will listen to this?
     Who will pay attention and listen in the time to come?
24 Who gave Jacob up for spoils, and Israel to plunderers?
     Was it not the Lord, against whom we have sinned,
     And in whose ways they were not willing to walk,
     And whose Law they did not obey?
25 So He poured out on him the heat of His anger 
     And the fierceness of battle;
     And it set him aflame all around,
     Yet he did not recognize it;
     And it burned him, but he paid no attention.

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
Here is both a portrayal of what happens when one disobeys and denies the Lord because He is just, as well as the hope that one can have when we choose to follow Him because He is faithful.  At the start of this chapter, we see a lovely prophecy of Jesus coming to earth to provide the good news of salvation.  He is our light and our covenant (promise).  Only He is able to set us free from the chains of sin and death!  And then He is our guide and our righteousness and our hope!  
Jesus gives all of us a fair opportunity to make a decision.  Who will we place first in our lives?  In what or whom will we trust and put our faith in?  When we choose our way, we think we are hearing and seeing everything, but it is in wanting to know God's way which is unsearchable that we need His help.  Truly trusting and putting our faith in Jesus is to realize and admit that we are deaf and blind, and we need the Lord to be our ears and eyes, allowing Him to lead us as to where we should go and what we should hear, say and do!  

No comments: