Tuesday, July 27, 2021

today's meditation (Ezra 1-2) Craving God's Word

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Ezra 1:1-11)   Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying:

2 “This is what Cyrus king of Persia says: ‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and He has appointed me to rebuild for Him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. 3 Whoever there is among you of all His people, may his God be with him! Go up to Jerusalem which is in Judah and rebuild the house of the Lord, the God of Israel; He is the God who is in Jerusalem. 4 And every survivor, at whatever place he may live, the people of that place are to support him with silver and gold, with equipment and cattle, together with a voluntary offering for the house of God which is in Jerusalem.’”

5 Then the heads of fathers’ households of Judah and Benjamin and the priests and the Levites rose up, everyone whose spirit God had stirred to go up to rebuild the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem. 6 And all of those around them encouraged them with articles of silver, with gold, with equipment, cattle, and with valuables, aside from everything that was given as a voluntary offering. 7 Also King Cyrus brought out the articles of the house of the Lord, which Nebuchadnezzar had carried away from Jerusalem and put in the house of his gods; 8 and Cyrus, king of Persia, had them brought out by the hand of Mithredath the treasurer, and he counted them out to Sheshbazzar, the leader of Judah. 9 Now this was their number: thirty gold dishes, a thousand silver dishes, twenty nine duplicates; 10 thirty gold bowls, 410 silver bowls of a second kind, and a thousand other articles. 11 All the articles of gold and silver totaled 5,400. Sheshbazzar brought them all up with the exiles who went up from Babylon to Jerusalem.
(Ezra 2:1-10)  Then He said to me, “Son of man, stand on your feet, and I will speak with you.” 2 And as He spoke to me the Spirit entered me and set me on my feet; and I heard Him speaking to me. 3 Then He said to me, “Son of man, I am sending you to the sons of Israel, to a rebellious people who have rebelled against Me; they and their fathers have revolted against Me to this very day. 4 So I am sending you to those who are impudent and obstinate children, and you shall say to them, ‘This is what the Lord God says:’ 5 As for them, whether they listen or not—for they are a rebellious house—they will know that a prophet has been among them. 6 And as for you, son of man, you are not to fear them nor fear their words, though thistles and thorns are with you and you sit on scorpions; you are not to fear their words nor be dismayed at their presence, since they are a rebellious house. 7 But you shall speak My words to them whether they listen or not, for they are rebellious.

8 “Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house. Open your mouth wide and eat what I am giving you.” 9 Then I looked, and behold, a hand was extended to me; and behold, a scroll was in it. 10 When He spread it out before me, it was written on the front and back, and written on it were songs of mourning, sighing, and woe.


TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
Here is a marvelous depiction of how God saves us, and spiritually feeds us, and physically empowers us.  Even in reading chapter one, coming out of 2 Chronicles, we can see how amazing God's words are.  There is no compromise, there are no inconsistencies.  Creation and historical records only support what God says.  There isn't anything or anyone who can refute what is in this book!  And this book is lifechanging!  I have experienced miracles and God's power even in my personal experiences!
How precious should the Bible be to us!  Are we listening in order to hear, and eating up everything God says with a very hearty appetite?  Just like me - when I go to experience a chef's tasting at a top restaurant - because - I LOVE FOOD!!!  The chef decides what to prepare and feed me.  For each course, I listen with interested ears to hear what has all gone into the dish.  I take photos of each delectable artistic presentation, which has been placed on or in just the right plate or bowl with thought and care.  And then I taste and eat each course as the chef recommends, because he knows every ingredient, and he knows how and why he prepared that specific course in that exact way. And when a course is over-the-top amazing, I literally get tears in my eyes
Just like that and more!  Because - I LOVE JESUS!!! - I crave His word!  I want to lap up, and examine, and picture it, and know every single thing that He has written to us.  This literally brings tears to my eyes!  He has created everything, and knows every ingredient added, and why, so He knows what works and doesn't work.  He understands us better than we understand ourselves.  He wants the very best for us, and as we allow and are willing, He will mold us, and shape us, and use us to His glory.  He wants to equip us and guide us into His great purpose.  And in all of that, in His will, and in His love, grace and strength, we will find rest and confidence and experience a delicious inner peace.

No comments: