Friday, July 28, 2017

JESUS and Guide (Acts 16)

In today's reading, I came across something I have never noticed before: ...

(Acts 16:6-10)  They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia; and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them; and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas. A vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to him, and saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10 When he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Just curious why Holy Spirit was used in the one verse, and then the Spirit of JESUS was used in the next verse.  I'm not sure what to make of that, but there you go.  Very interesting.  We know that God is made up of the Trinity - three in one.  As to how visions exactly work, I cannot comment.  What I can say is that when these supernatural things happen - it is quite clear that they are "more real than reality".  It's something that you know you didn't or couldn't imagine.  And if we get the interpretation wrong - IF WE ARE PRAYING FOR GOD'S GUIDANCE - do not worry or be fearful, God will certainly direct us.  And even without visions, God is still going to direct our paths!  Never give up on asking God for directions!!!

There have been many instances where I have asked God to open and shut doors to guide my decisions:  buying a car, buying a house, waiting for and choosing a spouse, getting a job, going to college, and even going to the mission field.  Of course, for every Christian, our mission field is wherever we are - always! It's another thing to go to another country and work for a mission, and so, my prayers for doing that was answered in an amazing way; but once we got there, things didn't go so smoothly - at all.  Doubt arose - and - well - we wondered - WAS this God's will that we are here???

I came to a very important realization in my life, which helps me now in every decision:  whichever situation we find ourselves in, wherever we are - do God's will, and then you are in God's will.  As soon as I started living in that frame of mind - I could confidently say, "Ahhhh, yes, this IS where I'm supposed to be right now."  I thought I would be on the mission field for two years, but plans change.  There was an opportunity and desire to go to college.  I had one thousand dollars to my name.  I needed ten thousand for each year.  Okay, Lord, if You want me to go to college, You will provide the means to do so.  It all worked out!  And yes, I took many, many various odd jobs, always tithing, always filing my taxes - and God was faithful and provided.

So many stories about God's faithfulness and provisions!!!  God is so good!!!...

(1 Thessalonians 5:12-24)  But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, 13 and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another. 14 We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. 16 Rejoice always; 17 pray without ceasing; 18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not quench the Spirit; 20 do not despise prophetic utterances. 21 But examine everything carefullyhold fast to that which is good; 22 abstain from every form of evil.  23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

No comments: