Tuesday, September 14, 2010

EXCLAMATIONS!

Ps.19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight.”

Proverbs 17:7 “Excellent speech is not fitting for a fool, much less are lying lips to a prince.”

As a writer, I understand the importance of words and knowing their definitions. If I’m going to use them, I better know what they all mean. A few times I have used a word incorrectly and either embarrassed myself and/or offended someone. And, I wonder, how many times have I offended God?

So as I’ve worked at cleaning up my personal speech, I have realized that merely dropping or changing a few letters doesn’t necessarily make it “better.” Would you be okay if someone you cared about - called you a “frigging b-otch”? Even though they changed or dropped a few letters, you still know what they meant.

Using the same principle, these are found in the dictionary:
GOSH — euphemism for God
GOLLY – euphemism for God
JEEZ/GEEZ – euphemism for Jesus
GEE – euphemism for Jesus
OMG/omg – “oh my God”

Do these fool the world? Does this fool God? Something to consider... "Exodus 20:7 “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.” Here, the Hebrew word for “vain” is “Shav.” Part of its definition and application is: emptiness, nothingness, vanity – the frivolous use of God’s name. Part of the dictionary’s definition for “in vain” – “in an irreverent or blasphemous manner [you shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain — Deuteronomy 5:11 (RSV)].”

Even Hollywood knows what it means. In “Indian Jones: The Last Crusade” - when Indy exclaims, “Jesus Christ!” - his father whacks him across the head and says, “Don’t take the Lord’s name in vain!” In another movie, as well as in a popular sitcom, the main character reacts to something with a loud, “Oh my God!” Upon receiving some odd looks, the character quickly bows their head and continues with a softer, “we thank You for…” as a quick cover-up.

So when you really think about it, even throwing around words like “Holy” or “Almighty” tends to mock the Lord we pray to. Very often we end our prayers with “in Your Holy and precious name...” If we truly honor God and His name, why would we even want to sound CLOSE to how the world mocks and scorns our Lord and Savior? “When they see among them their children, the work of My hands, they will keep My name holy, they will acknowledge the holiness of the Holy One of Jacob, and will stand in awe of the God of Israel.” Isaiah 29:23

1 John 2:3 “And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.” I have been trying to practice – to say what I actually mean, like - “THAT was awesome!” “THAT is tragic, I’ll be in prayer.” “That is so cute, where did you get it?” “That is surprising!” It would also be so refreshing if we were able to step out of the exclamation-rut that we find ourselves in - and be creative and original. Brilliant!

No comments: